Did you know we have hand therapists at the Denver and Lone Tree locations of Cherry Creek Wellness Center? "What's that?" you say? Read on!
"A hand therapist provides care for patients with a diversity of upper extremity disorders and injuries, from simple fingertip injuries to replanted extremities. Diagnosis include but are not limited to patients with crush injuries; tendon and/or ligament lacerations/repairs; tendinopathies; peripheral nerve disorders; fractures/dislocations; infections; sports related syndromes and many more. Hand therapists also treat patients who suffer from chronic problems which effect upper extremity function such as autoimmune disorders, neurological conditions, pain, diabetes, focal dystonia, congenital anomalies and psychogenic disorders involving the upper quarter.
Hand Therapists provide the Highest Standard of Care
A qualified hand therapist evaluates and treats any problem related to the upper extremities. The hand therapist effectively provides: postoperative rehabilitation, non-operative or conservative intervention; preventive care and industrial ergonomic consultation. A variety of techniques and tools may be used in therapeutic intervention, including but not limited to:
- Activity/Exercise regimes custom designed to increase motion, dexterity and strength with the ultimate goal of improving function.
- Behavior management
- Compressive therapy
- Desensitization, sensory re-education or sensory compensatory techniques
- Electrical modalities
- Ergonomic modifications
- Improve the performance of daily life skills by teaching adaptive techniques and suggesting adaptive/assistive devices equipment
- Industrial consultation
- Joint protection and energy conservation training
- Manual therapy
- Orthotic fabrication for post-op surgical protection/immobilization, correction of injury or deformity and conservative management of common upper extremity (UE) syndromes
- Pain management, acute or chronic
- Patient and family education
- Prosthetic Training
- Scar tissue management
- Thermal modalities
- Wellness Education
- Work conditioning/hardening/retraining
- Wound management
Advantages of Hand Therapy
- Accurate assessments, immediate care and effective treatment reduce overall treatment time
- The continuum of care eliminates the need for multiple medical providers
- Faster recovery results in decreased medical costs
- Resulting functional outcomes ensure a faster return to work and productive lifestyle"
Taken from and for more information go to: ASHT.org
Or call us for an evaluation today!